in Jesolo, for Carnival!
A delightful treat that symbolizes Carnival in Veneto, but like all good things, it’s not just enjoyed during this festive period, but all year round!
And for us, at Hotel Germania in Jesolo, we absolutely love all sweets: what kind of Family Hotel would we be otherwise?
If you want to deviate a bit from the usual (and delicious) sweets, you might consider the delightful… apple fritters!
The ancient traditions
Italy and Veneto are renowned producers of increasingly delicious, aromatic, juicy apple varieties, perfect for pies and, as seen here, …fritters!
For Carnival, this dessert was once a true classic: the less beautiful apples were diced, mixed into the batter, and dropped in small portions into very hot oil.
The apple slices could be left to marinate for half an hour in a mixture of lemon juice and sugar, to make them even more fragrant and flavorful.
The Venetian recipe calls for the essential addition of grappa in the batter; however, if preferred, you can replace it with the same amount of milk.
The delicious sweets
of Hotel Germania!
INGREDIENTS FOR ABOUT 24 FRITTERS
• Green apples (about 3) 580 g
• Lemon juice 1
FOR THE BATTER
• All-purpose flour (Type 00) 150 g
• Whole milk 200 g
• Eggs 2
• Baking powder for cakes 8 g
• Fine salt 1 pinch
• Vegetable oil, as needed
• Sugar 30 g
• Ground cinnamon, to taste
...and let's begin!
• To prepare the apple fritters, start with the batter: in a bowl, beat the 2 whole eggs, then add the milk and a pinch of salt. Sift the flour into the mixture.
• Also sift the baking powder for cakes, then carefully mix all the ingredients with a hand whisk until you obtain a smooth and lump-free mixture.
• Once ready, set the batter aside. Squeeze the juice of a lemon – you’ll need it shortly! Now, peel the apples, using a vegetable peeler to remove as little pulp as possible.
• Remove the core with the appropriate tool. You can also choose to halve the apples to remove the core more easily if you don’t have the tool.
• Cut the apples into slices about 5 mm thick and place them gradually in a shallow and wide bowl.
or with milk, they are
• Sprinkle the apple slices with lemon juice to prevent them from turning brown.
• Proceed with frying: pour vegetable oil into a large pan and check the temperature with a kitchen thermometer; it should reach around 170°C without exceeding it.
At this point, you can dip an apple slice into the batter, ensuring it’s completely covered, and fry it in the oil at the right temperature.
• Fry a few pieces at a time, a maximum of 2 slices, to avoid lowering the oil temperature. You can turn the apple fritters while cooking, using a slotted spoon for even browning.
• As they become ready, place them on a tray lined with paper towels to remove excess oil. In a small bowl, mix 30g of sugar with ground cinnamon to your liking.
• Mix and sprinkle the fritters with the flavored sugar.
Your apple fritters are ready to be enjoyed while still warm or lukewarm! 😋🤗
And now... let's call the kids!!
For inquiries, business, or to book your holiday, feel free to contact us by writing to us or calling at +39 0421 381223.